Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ethernet? Wireless? The Networked House of the FUTURE!

Ok, while Christy's off replacing door knobs, cataloging paint, and doing other useful things, I was drawing pretty pictures. I want a couple of things out of the internet connection in our house.

  • open, unencrypted guest wireless that won't take all my bandwidth and can't see private stuff (like backups)

  • secure, encrypted wireless network for my laptop

  • wired ethernet for high speed media transfer for photos and movies

  • transparent backups on the encrypted wireless and ethernet networks

  • use equipment I've already got



Here it is*:



This is the design, but I haven't worked through the configuration yet. I'm probably not going to until after we move. Expect another post here in another 2-3 weeks with results.

(created using Gliffy)

No comments:

Post a Comment